Stewart 51 Partner LLC

2017 News and Events

January February News and Events
Even down here in Alabama and the panhandle of Florida, there is winter, and winter slowed things down again this year.  We did get our set of pre-production ribs from Mooney International, shown below in the racks in Pensacola.  We'll be trial fitting these new ribs to the spar from the wing we are disassembling to check them for proper dimensions, fit, and compatibility with stringers and other components.
I did finally fly Doll again on February 1st, a one hour local flight in Bartow.  Everything checked out properly.  I had taken Doll down in June of 2016, so there was about an eight month interlude between flights.  Harry and crew had removed the Electromotive Ignition system for repair, got it back, and had it ready to go.  After the successful local flight, we loaded up and flew to Pensacola on the 2nd..
I changed the oil and filter Saturday the 18th, did the leak checks, then cowled her up.  Sunday was such a pretty day all over the southeast, I just had to fly somewhere.  I "go with" a lady in North Alabama, so we arranged to let me fly up to see her for lunch:  The S51 version of the $100 Weekend Hamburger, although we enjoyed more sophisticated fare.  About an hour and a half up, another hour and a half back, making for an excellent Sunday.  It was nice.
The photo below was taken by Beth as I was shutting down up there.
Beth came down to Montgomery this past weekend for a Mardi Gras visit.  We enjoyed downtown Montgomery, and spent the afternoon at The Aviator Bar, owned by an old fraternity brother and aviation enthusiast, Mike Watson.  Watson has done an incredible job with the bar, and hosts regular citizens and the military contingents from Maxwell AFB, the Alabama Air Guard (F-16's), and other drinkers who enjoy an aviation theme with their libations. 
Beth and me in front of Mike's beer pulls.
The last pieces of news include Cliff Fitch, Jim Gohm, and Rod Bower:
Rod is closer and closer to his first flight, still ironing out a couple of items before breaking ground.  Jim Gohm is up and flying again out in Arizona after installing an oil cooler in the scoop to get his oil temp more comfortable.
Cliff Fitch and his son, Cliff III, journeyed down from Illinois last week to get his overhauled prop and do the final planning for the main and tail landing gear components we lack.  Cliff and his son will be building main gear trunions, pistons, and all the other goodies that we lack for the landing gear.  Cliff also figures to be flying his Stewart again as winter eases up in his neighborhood.

The last photo for this segment is of some of the machined parts we just received from our supplier in Pensacola.  These fellows did a nice job on the engine mount brackets and several other components we needed.

March April News and Events
On a local flight in Pensacola in early March, I had some difficulty switching tanks:  The fuel selector was stiff and didn't want to move freely, not necessarily a good thing.  So, I went about removing what I needed to remove to get at it, pulled it out (it's down inside that circular hole under the seat frame), disassembled and cleaned and replaced "O" rings, lubed it, put it back together, reinstalled it, leak checked it, ran her up to check function, put the interior back together, and had that issue handled.  That's all you have to do sometimes.

Cecelie, Ole, and Jim.

S51 kit builder Ole (and his lovely wife Cecelie) Ringstad came over from Norway for some vacation time, some pilot recertification review work, and to meet Jim Stewart.  Their U.S. trip began in Orlando, where Ole visited with the Stalion 51 people at Kissimmee.  I met up with them in Bartow Friday March 31st, where Ole studied the kit we are building at Harry Stenger's Aero Fabrication and Restoration. 
Saturday morning, we flew up to Zephyr Hills Airport where Ole had a two hour visit with Jim.  Ole and Jim shared ideas on Ole's progress with his BMW auto engine conversion and other engine related items.  A great visit, one that impressed Ole as to Jim's engineering knowledge and genuine curiosity about Ole's V-12 pursuit.  Recall that Jim had done some initial work with the Italian BPM V-12 engine, but no reliable supply source could be arranged.  GM based V-8's are a little easier to come by.  It was nice to see Jim and listen to Ole's visit with him.
Below, you see Jack Peck in the cockpit of his S51 at his home in Spruce Creek, which was our destination after leaving Jim in Zephyr Hills.  Ole and I had a great study of Jack's plane and compared notes.  Jack had house guests, which added to a nice visit with Jack and Mary.
Coolant System Issues
For several years now, we have been evolving several systems on Doll, including the powerplant cooling system.  We added a dual thermostat box, changed pressure cap ratings, and have flown on.
As I began to fly Doll again this spring, I began to notice I was having to add more coolant than normal after a period of flying.  In prior years, we would purposely overfill the system, then let it "pop off" and vent excess overboard.  We would then fly at that level for a while, having learned where the system liked to be on total coolant volume.  That worked fine until lately, when the coolant seemed to be needing more added to get back to the "pop off" point.
On a particular flight in March, I taxied in and had an abnormal "pop off" event occur as I was parking and about to shut down, the engine  getting hotter than the normal warming we always get while taxxing in.  I had not opened the scoop outlet door on final approach on this flight, and assumed that leaving it closed on final added to more latent heat not being dissipated.  Keep in mind the vast difference in 100 knot airflow through the radiator and 4 knot air taxiing in.  Add to that effect the fact that the water pump is turning much more slowly on taxi-in than in cruise flight or on final approach, and one can see why some warming occurs.
I flew several more local flights, but always having to add coolant, so it did finally dawn on me, "You might ought to figure out where the coolant is going."  The other big clue was that our coolant system pressure was bleeding down sooner and sooner after shutdown, so we had to stop and figure it out.  Turns out there were a couple of answers.
The first thing we did was use a pressure tester to pressurize the system and listen and look.  What we found first were several spots where we were getting seepeage at the intake manifold-to-block and manifold-to-head joints.  Ole and Cecelie Ringstad were with me in Pensacola and helped find the first of these leaks.  We tightened a few intake manifold bolts, re-safetied, and pumped her up again, finding much improvement, but not complete success.
Intake Manifold Bolts Tightened and Safetied.
Ole Ringstad Looking for Coolant Leaks
A few days later, I once again had time to spend on Doll, and found a small leak at one of the head studs.  This created some concern, of course, having to consider the possibility of a damaged head gasket and possibly a damaged head, going back to my hot shut down earlier in March.  I was on the phone with Al Joniec, Harry Stenger, and several other S51 builders and experts as we troubleshot and checked things out.


Our next step was to remove the rocker cover, the Jessel Valve Rocker assemblies, and re-torque the heads.  Turned out the left bank was, indeed, in need of re-torquing, as a few nuts moved at 50 foot pounds on the way to a final 70 foot pounds.  The right side was closer to proper torques, but some of them needed a little snugging up, too.

Reinstalling Jessel Bases

After re-torqueing the heads, our pressures held well.  We finished reinstalling the exhaust system and other parts, safetied, and had two good ground runs with pressure holding tight.


I hope to get her flown again the week of May 8th.  We'll see how we do with coolant.